Freebies

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Teach Like a Pirate: Reflection 1


I've been hearing lots of good things about Teach like a Pirate by Dave Burgess, so I started reading it today. I have to say I like what I'm reading so far. Chapter 1 is all about passion.

Mr. Burgess asks readers to identify what we are passionate about in 3 different categories: content, professional, and personal.

What topics and standards to I most enjoy in the content I teach?
  • problem solving (math)
  • number sense
  • reading and comprehending high quality children's literature
What am I passionate about within my profession (not related to content)?
  • creating life-long learners
  • inspiring a love of reading
  • helping students recognize their special talents and strengths
  • developing perseverance
  • helping students to believe in their abilities
  • developing critical thinking skills
  • encouraging students to care about others
  • encouraging good citizenship
  • teaching problem solving (personal/social)
  • helping students recognize the power of their choices to create change for themselves and others
What am I passionate about personally?
  • music (fine arts)
  • my family
  • making the world a better place
  • making healthy meals for my family
  • learning
The chapter ends by saying,
"What gets me fired up and passionate in the classroom, and therefore more effective, might not be the answer for my colleague down the hall. Resist any movement that attempts to clone teachers and lessons..." (pg. 12)

So, what gets you fired up and passionate? 


NVF Signature photo nvfblogsignature_zpsbdbf4a05.png

1 comment:

  1. I like his point about focusing on your professional passion and trying to bring your personal passion into the classroom, especially on days that you are not passionate about the content!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what this post made you think about! I love to hear from readers, and I always try to respond.