Freebies

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Teaching kids to read


...teach emergent readers.

One of the trends I've noticed in reading education is the breakdown of teaching reading into the five categories of phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, comprehension, and fluency. When we do this, some of the foundational skills emergent readers need can get lost.

Early in my career I was able to participate in a professional development course designed to help me give instruction to English Language Learners. One of the products I saw at this professional development was a set of reading strategy cards with pictures to help explain the strategies. I loved them, but didn't have the money to buy it, so I created my own. When I started my TPT store, I realized I couldn't sell my strategy cards because I didn't have commercial rights to the graphics I used, so one of my to-do list items has been to recreate my reading strategy signs with different graphics. 

Well, I've finally done it! 

When teaching emergent readers we need to teach strategies that go beyond phonics rules and memorizing sight words. They need to be taught to reread text, look at the first and last letters (it's amazing how many students don't know what you mean when you say "first letter" or "last letter"), they need to think about the story and recognize when their reading doesn't make sense. 

These reading strategy posters are a tool I've been using for years to help students learn and remember these important reading strategies. You'll notice that I avoided the use of backgrounds and frames because I wanted it to be very clear exactly what the students were supposed to focus on. 

This product and the rest of my store will be on sale August 4-5 for the TPT Back 2 School sale.








Be sure to follow my blog because next week my bloggy friends from the Diggin' into next year blog series will be hosting an amazing giveaway. You WILL NOT want to miss it!! The prizes include gift cards to Amazon, Target, TPT, a huge bundle of products, and more. Check out the details at Where the Magic Happens Daily.



NVF Signature photo nvfblogsignature_zpsbdbf4a05.png

1 comment:

  1. Regardless of your relationship with the child for whom you are purchasing a book, quality is an issue of paramount importance. It's imperative to review all of the book content to ensure that it is having sufficient information and info-graphics that can add value. On per recommendation of my friends I just came with a site http://helpkidsread.net/ that is just awesome to get the perfect books. Thanks and keep sharing the nice infromation!!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what this post made you think about! I love to hear from readers, and I always try to respond.