Freebies

Sunday, May 17, 2015

How to Integrate Hand-Clapping Games into Literacy Instruction

Integrating music and art into instruction across the curriculum can improve student performance and create a stronger sense of community in the classroom. It might seem like arts are fun extra activities to insert into the day if there happens to be time, but this is not the case.

There is research to support the use of singing and dancing in the classroom. Quite a bit of it is listed at the Center for Lifelong Music Making (the organization that taught my classes). I see the benefits in my own classroom. I'm happier. The kids are happier. There's more enthusiasm for learning when I have been able to use the techniques I learned from at the arts integration classes I took, my students perform better.
Update: Do you want to read more about the benefits of hand clapping games? Check out this post at the Inspired Treehouse.
My students have recently developed an interest in hand-clapping games. Some of them have lyrics I don't particularly care for, so I've been teaching them ones I prefer. One of my favorites is Miss Mary Mack.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a video I really like to show you. This one is a good tutorial if you aren't sure how to do the hand-clapping pattern. Following the hand-clapping pattern is part of what makes this activity impactful, so I encourage you to teach it.


Notice that in the beginning she just does the movements and says the movement she's doing rather than singing the song. *shoulders, thighs, clap, right, clap, left, clap, both* This is a really good way to introduce the movements to your students.

Ideally, you should stand with your back to your students so they can copy the movements exactly. Of course, that would be a direct violation of Elementary Teaching 101, so the alternative is being a mirror for your students, that just means you have to say right while moving left--you may want to practice first!

I always teach the movements in isolation, and I have the students do them without a partner at first. Actually, when I first teach the hand-clapping, I just do clap, right, clap, left. There's really no wrong way to do it in my opinion, but the combination of the hand-clapping pattern and the singing is what really activates the brain. 

I teach the words and game first, then I give the students a copy of the words to build fluency. It also supports phonics skills: -ck, final -y, and -ed endings. I've made this lyric sheet available free of charge in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.



There's also a book by Mary Ann Hoberman with some additional verses that I really like. You can hear some kids reading/singing it in this video. (I couldn't get the embed code to work.)

If you like this post and want to learn other ways you can integrate singing and dancing into your day, check out these posts about Little Tommy Tucker's Dog, and Goin' 'Round the Mountain.

Check out posts by other lovely education bloggers at Techie Turtle Teacher's  Movie Clip Monday Linkup!



If you found this post to be interesting or fun, I'd love for you to connect with me!

Follow on Bloglovin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what this post made you think about! I love to hear from readers, and I always try to respond.