Freebies

Monday, May 4, 2015

Two tools to teach the "W" Questions

Being able to answer the questions who, what, when, where, why, and how, helps students with comprehension, retelling, and writing. I'm linking up with the Techie Turtle Teacher to share a cute video I found to introduce students to the W questions. In honor of Teacher Appreciation week, I've also updated my free "W" strategy graphic organizer. 


Video: Who, What, Where, When, Why and How by Good Charlotte


SafeShareTVlink

Key Details Graphic Organizer

Who, what, where, when, why


I love this graphic organizer! In the beginning of the year I write the answers to the questions from a text we've read and the students have to figure out which question I'm answering. Then I model retelling the story by putting the answers together, and student volunteers retell the story.

Later I have students answer the questions with as a quick write or in a think-pair-share activity, and I have students retell the story to their partners.

With more advanced students, I can assign a text and tell them to answer the W questions to prepare for our discussion.  I've even had some very advanced students use their answers to conduct a lesson like mine where they ask students which question their sentences answer.


You can grab this updated freebie at Teachers Pay Teachers or Teachers Notebook. I would love it if you would show your appreciation by leaving some nice feedback or pinning this picture. Both of these sites are having fantastic sales this week!

I hope your special week is off to a spectacular beginning.

Visit the linkup for more fun videos.

If you found this post to be interesting or fun, I'd love for you to connect with me!

Follow on Bloglovin


NVF Signature photo nvfblogsignature_zpsbdbf4a05.png

1 comment:

  1. This would be perfect for my middle school students! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what this post made you think about! I love to hear from readers, and I always try to respond.