Freebies

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Having the Courage to Let my Kids Have Courage

The other day I met a friend at a nearby park for a community picnic. Her kids rode their bikes. After the picnic, we were chatting while my son chased her daughter around the park. She was on his bike. He ran. We paid very little attention.


When I looked around the park to check in on them, I spotted them on the bike trail as far away from us as they could get, but what in the world was going on? 

What was my son doing on the bike? The bike had no training wheels. He was NOT wearing a helmet, and he WAS wearing FLIP-FLOPS. Not good.

I held my breath. I got ready to run. I mentally prepared myself to call for an ambulance and take a trip to the emergency room. 

Then he did it. He stayed up!
Amazement.
Gratitude.
Pride.

Irritation.
Pride.
Fear.
Pride.
Relief.
Excitement.


Confusion.

I decided to pretend not to notice the flip-flops, at least for the moment.

This is later in the day at home.
He's wearing long sleeves and long pants to protect his skin. His idea, not mine!



If you found this post to be interesting or fun, I'd love for you to connect with me!

Follow on Bloglovin



NVF Signature photo nvfblogsignature_zpsbdbf4a05.png

4 comments:

  1. Great description of a parent's "letting go" - love how you note "pride" several times, interspersed with irritation, fear...so true! We feel all these things at once, watching our children learn new skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've captured this moment perfectly. I love the one word sentences in the middle. Wait until he gets to be a teenager it gets scarier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! It's always a scary moment when you have to let go - but so exhilarating to see our kids take off with confidence and pride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! It's always a scary moment when you have to let go - but so exhilarating to see our kids take off with confidence and pride.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what this post made you think about! I love to hear from readers, and I always try to respond.