Freebies

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Not-very-fancy Version of Burritos

When I was little, burritos were my favorite food. At least, my mom's version (very similar to the Not-very-fancy version) of burritos were my favorite food. I was actually referred to by some as the "burrito mosquito." I'm not sure why my mom didn't make them more often since they are so easy! These are not intended to be authentic, so don't judge! 


My usual ingredients are:

refried beans
ground turkey
onion
fresh tomato
canned mushrooms
shredded mozzarella 
flour tortillas


These yummy, non-authentic burritos can be ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.

I just brown the turkey with onion, put stuff in bowls, heat the refried beans, warm the tortillas and serve. Everyone builds their own. One time I didn't have the refried beans or fresh tomato, so I used a can of pinto beans (rinsed) and a can of diced tomatoes (drained). I mixed everything together in one bowl (except the meat because my kids are picky!). It worked beautifully. I should probably do it that way more often.

I do not like using taco seasoning packets, so I make my own. I used this recipe until I felt comfortable just sprinkling stuff in. Now I use approximately 2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 

A Not-very-fancy way to make yummy (non-authentic) burritos.

My little girl can't really manage holding or eating a whole burrito. I'm a little embarrassed by how long it took me to realize I could just make a whole burrito and cut it in half. I guess it's because I usually fold mine so they are open at one end. Anyway, here's my quick tip about making burritos manageable for your preschoolers.

Quick tip: it took me way to long to figure out that I could just make a burrito and cut it in half for my little girl.

A couple more tips for simplifying this already very simple meal. Buy a bunch of onions, dice, and freeze. Take the meat you prepared and freeze half of it, then it will be ready to go next time.







If you found this post to be interesting or fun, I'd love for you to connect with me!

Follow on Bloglovin


4 comments:

  1. Those would make a great weeknight dinner! Quick and yummy. Thanks for sharing! I hardly ever cook, but I did just make a lentil soup the other day. No pics since we ate it all! Have a great week.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  2. That burrito recipe sounds GREAT! I love the mix of ingredients in it. It's on my dinner list. See you next time. Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! I really like your idea of adapting it for toddlers-- I even pinned your directions. Thanks for sharing!

    My Bright Blue House

    ReplyDelete
  4. We make these mini burritos for the kids because they are tasty and we pack them with healthy vegetables. The kids think they are getting a cool treat but don't realize we sneak in all those vegetables that they kick and scream about when we try to serve them with dinner. The football party was a huge hit this weekend.

    Diane Baker @ Alejandra's Restaurant

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what this post made you think about! I love to hear from readers, and I always try to respond.