Freebies

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Not Very Fancy: Just Delicious (Potato Fry)

When I was a kid, my mom made this dish called potato fry. We loved it. Once my brother requested a "triple batch" of potato fry for his birthday because there was never enough! I'm not sure this qualifies as a recipe, more of just a delicious meal for breakfast lovers.


The ingredient list is pretty simple: potatoes, bacon, eggs, and onion. I will usually make 1.5 potatoes, 2 pieces of bacon, and 2-3 eggs per person. The more bacon, the more delicious, obviously.



The first step is to boil the potatoes. Since I remember being 21 and calling my mom to ask how to boil a potato.....you put the potatoes in a pot of water and turn the heat to medium high. Once the water boils, it usually takes around 20 minutes to boil the potatoes. If you have large potatoes, cut them in half to make the process faster. You should be able to easily stab them with a fork when they are done. 

There are lots of ways to cook bacon, but for this dish, I like to fry it in a skillet. You can cut the bacon into bite size pieces for easy browning. I use this method because I want to use the bacon grease. 




Once the bacon is getting brown, add a diced onion. This is optional but recommended. Saute until the onion is translucent, then transfer to a bowl (paper towel lined if you want to cut a little grease).


Cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces. When you are cutting the potatoes, some of the skin will come off in large pieces. I take that out. Put the potatoes into the skillet with the bacon grease. Depending on the amount of grease and bacon to potato ratio, you may need to add some oil. Frying potatoes takes a while. Let them sit for a while, then flip them around, then let them sit. Don't stir constantly because you'll mash them. 

As you can see in the picture, I made a very large amount, and my skillet is overflowing. I had to transfer the whole thing back to the giant pan which was far from ideal. Once the potatoes are pretty crispy, return the bacon and onion to the pan. 

Beat the eggs and pour them over the whole thing. Scramble everything together until the eggs are all cooked.




Much like with frittata, you can pretty really play around with this recipe. Put some cheese on top, throw in some tomatoes, spinach, or mushrooms. If you like it in an omelet, you'll like it here.


If you found this post to be interesting or fun, I'd love for you to connect with me!

Follow on Bloglovin



2 comments:

Please tell me what this post made you think about! I love to hear from readers, and I always try to respond.